V. Grades and Credits

  1. Midterm Grades and Academic Warnings Instructors are required to give a mid-term grade to each student in 100 and 200 level courses at the mid-point of each semester. These grades are entered in the student's record but they do not become a part of the academic history that appears on the transcript. In upper-division courses, instructors should provide either mid-term grades for the entire class, or give a written academic warning to each student who is failing or near failing. A copy of this warning will be kept on record by the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Change of Grades No one but the instructor of a course can give a grade in that course or change a grade once given. The change of any grade other than I, IP, or the original data entry error must be justified in writing to the associate provost.
  3. Grade Report A grade report for each student is available online during the week following the close of each semester. A paper copy will be mailed to the student's permanent address upon request. Grades will not be released or redirected over the telephone. If the student has any account balances or obligations such as tuition, library or parking fines, loans, etc., a hold will be placed on grade reports, transcripts, and/or diplomas until paid.
  4. Grading System The grading system is based upon achievement in course work attempted. The grades and points of this grade point average (G.P.A.) system are as follows:

    Points per Semester Hour Grade

    A 4.0 C 2.0
    A- 3.7 C- 1.7
    B+ 3.3
    D+ 1.3
    B 3.0 D 1.0
    B- 2.7
    D- .7
    C+ 2.3
    F .0

    In addition, the following symbols are used:

    P -- Pass

    NP -- No Pass

    AD -- Audit

    I -- Work Incomplete

    IP -- In Progress (given only for Thesis 599 and other approved courses)

    W -- Withdrew (with permission)

    NG -- No Class Grade Register Submitted

    The G.P.A. is the total points divided by the total semester hours in which grades of A through F are received. All courses which the student does not successfully complete will be denoted on the transcript by the symbol I, IP, F, or NP. 

  5. Incomplete The grade I is allowed only with approval of the dean or the dean's representatives. An incomplete may be given when a student needs no further formal instruction but is unable to complete some requirements of the course due to circumstances beyond their control. The instructor must inform the dean or the dean's representative in writing indicating both the reasons for the incomplete and the agreed upon date for completion of the requirement (not to exceed one year). The I will convert to an F if the requirement is not completed within one year.
  6. Pass/No Pass Certain courses, because of their content and scope, are graded on the pass/no pass basis. These courses are determined by the dean of the college or professional school which offers the courses involved upon recommendation of the faculty of a department or professional school. Such courses will not be subject to the regulations on student options below. Courses that are required by the University core, college curriculum, or departmental program may not be taken pass/no pass, except in cases where the grade mode for the course has been designated in the Bulletin by the individual school or department as pass/no pass. To fulfill the remaining credit hours for graduation, three courses may be taken pass/no pass. The student's dean or the dean's representatives must approve a student's request to take a course pass/no pass. Courses attempted under the pass/no pass system and completed successfully will carry academic credit and the designation P, while unsuccessful performance will carry no credit, but will be listed as NP on the student's transcript. However, neither result will be included in the computation of the grade point average. Grades assigned will include P for performance ranging from D- to A and NP for F. The instructor will not be made aware that a student is enrolled under the system. The grade the instructor submits will be translated into either P or an NP by the registrar. Within the parameters above, one change in registration from regular status to pass/no pass or vice versa will be allowed in a given course up to the date listed in the University calendar.
  7. Auditing Courses Students who wish to attend classes but who do not desire credit may enroll as auditors. Regularly matriculated students may audit courses only with the approval of their dean or the dean's representatives. Auditors must furnish sufficient evidence of their ability to take the courses involved. They are not required to perform any of the work assigned in the course, nor may they take the examinations. Those who audit courses are not eligible for credit by examination in such courses, nor may auditors register for credit after the last official day to add/drop a class. No changes to or from auditor status are permitted after the last day to add/drop a class. Courses taken by audit are entered on the student’s permanent record and indicated with the symbol AD.
  8. Repeating Courses Only courses in which a grade of C-, D+, D, D-, F, or NP has been received may be repeated at the University of Portland for academic credit. A course may be repeated only once and only the latest grade is included in the computation of the G.P.A. and the total number of credit hours required for graduation. Both courses and grades will remain on the permanent academic record, with the original course denoted by the symbol E. While courses repeated at the University of Portland may change one's grade point average, equivalent courses taken at another institution, even when fulfilling University requirements, cannot be used to replace any course or grade entered on the permanent academic record or to change one's University of Portland G.P.A.
  9. Withdrawal from a Course To receive a W, students must officially withdraw from a course in which they choose not to continue. The withdrawal is effective the date it is filed in the registrar's office, and in no instance later than the date listed in the University calendar. Students who seek an exception from this regulation for individual courses after the deadline must meet with the appropriate department head and dean or the dean's representatives who will make a recommendation to the associate provost. In no instance will a request be considered for a late withdrawal from an individual course without academic penalty that has not been forwarded with the recommendation of the dean or the dean's representatives.
  10. Leave/Readmission Students must be continuously enrolled during fall and spring semesters or seek a leave of absence. A leave form may be secured from the associate dean of their college or school. Students must secure the requisite signatures on the form in order to obtain an approved leave. Students who are not enrolled and do not seek a leave must apply for readmission. Readmission is not automatic and requires approval by the associate dean of your college or school.
  11. Medical Leave of Absence Medical leave of absence is designed to allow an undergraduate or graduate student to pursue treatment for medical conditions, or to accommodate students too ill to complete the semester. A granted medical leave allows a student to leave school for not more than one year without subsequent academic penalty, and with minimal financial implications. The student will have grades of W recorded for the semester of departure. For full details, please review the Medical Withdrawal Policy found under Miscellaneous Regulations in this bulletin. Additional information around the Medical Withdrawal Policy may be found in the Financial Aid Handbook. A medical leave of absence is granted by the Office of the Provost with the recommendation of the Health and Counseling Center.
  12. Grading Appeal A student is responsible for maintaining standards of academic performance established for each course in which the student is enrolled. A student who believes that the student's work has been improperly evaluated or that the student has been treated in a capricious or prejudiced manner, is expected to discuss the matter directly with the faculty member involved. If, after earnest inquiry, the matter remains unreconciled, the student may seek assistance through the following steps:
  • Appeal the question to the head of the department (unless the department head is a party to the grievance).
  • Submit the appeal to the dean of the academic college. The dean together with the department head will take all reasonable and proper actions to resolve the question at their level.
  • Should the aggrieved student believe that the student's rights were abridged at the departmental and college levels, the student may file a request for review with the associate provost, making clear the basis of the appeal. The associate provost will consult with the dean, the department head, and the faculty member and student involved and review all the materials associated with the case. The student will be informed in writing of the decision on the appeal. The decision of the associate provost is final.