Alcohol Possession and Use

The University expects that all members of the University community and their guests who choose to use or serve alcoholic beverages will do so in a responsible manner and in accordance with state and federal laws. The primary purpose of the University’s policies governing the use of alcoholic beverages and of its related programs and services are:

  • To promote responsible attitudes regarding alcohol use and responsible behavior among all members of the University community.
  • To educate individuals concerning the use and effect of alcohol in order to encourage responsible decision-making.
  • To make assistance available to individuals who may be experiencing difficulty associated with the use, misuse, or abuse of alcoholic beverages.

In light of the above-stated purposes and in compliance with state and federal laws, all University students are expected to comply with the following regarding the possession and use of alcohol:

  • No person under the age of 21 may lawfully possess or consume alcoholic beverages in the State of Oregon. Students may be subject to the University conduct process for underage possession, consumption, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, or for providing alcoholic beverages to any person who is underage.
  • No person shall sell, give, or otherwise make available any alcoholic beverage to a person who is visibly intoxicated.
  • Entry into a licensed premise that bans underage persons (e.g., a bar) by a person under the age of 21 is prohibited. Students may be subject to the University conduct process for this behavior or for possessing false identification that misrepresents age or identity.
  • Except for persons holding the appropriate state licenses, no one shall sell, either directly or indirectly, alcoholic beverages. Examples of prohibited conduct that may subject a student to University discipline include, but are not limited to, charging admission to a party or selling cups.
  • Students of legal drinking age may possess and consume alcohol on campus subject to the following limitations:
    1. Intoxication by any student, regardless of age, whether in public or private, is prohibited. Symptoms of intoxication include, but are not limited to, the following: slurred speech, impaired motor coordination, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and loss of good judgment. Such behavior may result in University discipline.
    2. Kegs or any containers holding over 32 oz. of alcohol are prohibited in all residence halls (including Haggerty & Tyson Halls) and in any University rental properties.
    3. Within traditional residence halls (i.e., all halls except for Haggerty & Tyson Halls), the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages that contain in excess of 14 percent (14%) alcohol by volume are prohibited.
    4. Students of legal drinking age may possess and transport reasonable quantities of sealed alcohol in suitable packaging through public areas of campus and common areas of residence halls.
    5. Students may not transport, possess, or use open containers in any common spaces (e.g., hallways, stairwells, lounges).
    6. Students may not hang signs or advertisements for alcoholic beverages from windows, on doors, or in other publicly visible places.
    7. Students may not possess or display collections of alcohol containers or any other drinking paraphernalia.
    8. Abusive drinking is prohibited on campus. Potential violations of this policy include but are not limited to: participating in drinking games, drinking to the point of physical illness, “shotgunning” alcohol, taking shots of any form, and possessing beer bongs or other drinking devices.
    9. Print, electronic, and broadcast media funded in full or in part by the University, or by University solicited funds, or bearing the University's name, may not contain advertisements promoting alcohol or events that have alcohol as their primary focus. Advertising of alcoholic beverages is prohibited within University residence facilities.
    10. No graduate or undergraduate student, student organization, or University housing facility may use University, student organization, or University housing facility funds for the purchase of alcohol without prior permission.