XIII. Miscellaneous Regulations

  1. Applicability. Students and University personnel are bound by all published University rules and regulations.
  2. Administrative Withdrawal. The University reserves the right to withhold or terminate the privilege of attending the University when such official action is deemed advisable or necessary in the interest of the student or of the University or both. When such action involves termination of attendance within a semester or session, it shall be termed “Administrative Withdrawal.’’ An appropriate record shall be kept in the confidential files of the vice president for student affairs and a notation of such action shall be kept in the student’s file in the Office of the Registrar.
  3. Disciplinary Dismissal. A student who is found in violation of University policies or standards of conduct may be permanently dismissed from the University and ineligible for readmission. These dismissal decisions will result in a permanent notation on the student’s transcript of “Disciplinary Dismissal” after the last term of attendance. See Life on the Bluff, the UP Student Handbook for further information.
  4. Bulletin Year. The Bulletin year that governs a student's academic program is the Bulletin in force for the semester the student matriculates at the University of Portland. An exception to this is if the student elects to move to the current Bulletin when the student changes the degree or primary major the student is pursuing or when the student transfers within the University from one professional school or college to another. An additional exception is if a student elects to move to the current Bulletin if there is significant change to the program of study. The academic program of students readmitted after a five year absence will be governed by the Bulletin in effect at the time the student re-enrolls. All degree requirements will be met under the provisions of a single Bulletin. In the event that a degree program is eliminated or makes significant changes to its curriculum requirements, the University will provide the opportunity for students to complete their original program in a timely fashion.
  5. Course Numbers. The number assigned to a course indicates in a general way its academic level. Generally, courses numbered in the one hundreds (1xx) are for first-year students; courses numbered in the two hundreds (2xx) are for sophomores. Courses numbered in the three hundreds (3xx) are upper-division courses for undergraduates only. Four hundred courses (4xx) are principally for upper-division undergraduate students, but a limited number of such courses may be applied toward advanced degrees with the permission of the department head and the associate provost. Five hundred courses (5xx) are graduate courses which may be taken for undergraduate credit by advanced students with the permission of the head of the department in which the course is taught and the the dean’s office of the college/school or designee. Courses numbered in the six hundreds (6xx) are graduate courses for doctoral students. Courses numbered in the seven hundreds (7xx) are reserved for continuing education credit courses ordinarily not acceptable as fulfilling requirements in programs leading to academic degrees. Course numbers in the eight hundreds (8xx) are reserved for non-credit continuing education courses. Course numbers in the nine hundreds (9xx) are reserved for continuing education courses taken for continuing education units (CEUs) only.
  6. Dean’s List. The undergraduate dean’s list is compiled at the end of each semester by the Office of the Registrar. To qualify for the dean’s list, a student must complete at least 12 semester hours of credit which count toward their grade point average; receive a grade of C or above in all classes which count toward their grade point average, receive no F or NP grades; and earn a semester G.P.A. of 3.50 or higher. There is no dean’s list during the summer or in the Graduate School.
  7. Exceptions. Exception to any academic regulation is permitted only for extraordinary reasons, and then only by the provost's office.
  8. Student Address. Students are required to report in writing or online to the Office of the Registrar their off-campus, local address and any changes of address, both local and permanent, each semester. (Note: Residence hall students’ addresses are automatically recorded.)
  9. Transcripts A transcript of credit is a complete and faithful copy of the student’s University academic record. Official transcripts are printed on security paper and bear the signature of the Registrar. Requests for transcripts must be made in writing including the student’s signature. The Registrar is unable to accept telephone or e-mail requests since the student’s signature is required to release their transcript. The student must submit a separate request for each recipient and there is a limit of three transcripts per recipient. To order a transcript, please send an original, signed letter indicating where the transcripts should be sent, or download and mail the transcript request form from the Office of the Registrar’s website. Please include in the written request the following information: name(s) under which the student may have attended; U.P. ID number; date of birth; and dates of attendance at the University of Portland. Transcripts are normally mailed within two working days of receiving the request. A rushed transcript may be ordered for an additional fee, and it will be processed immediately. Please allow additional days for processing if attendance at the University was prior to 1983. The University will not issue transcripts for anyone with outstanding account balances or obligations. For transcripts from previous educational institutions attended, students must contact each institution directly.
  10. University Communication All University of Portland students, faculty, and staff are required to obtain access to the University network, the campus portal (PilotsUP,) and a University of Portland e-mail account (@up.edu) for communication purposes. Communication from University offices is posted on the campus portal or sent to the up.edu address and students, faculty, and staff are responsible for any information that is conveyed.
  11. Withdrawal: Types and Process.

    Withdrawal from all courses during the semester

    Students who wish to withdraw from all courses prior to the end of a semester may submit a request form with the assistance of the associate dean of their college or school. The withdrawal process requires approval from various offices before it is complete.

    Eligibility for any adjustment to tuition charges is based on the date a University Official is notified by the student that they wish to withdraw. Students may obtain information regarding tuition adjustments for complete withdrawals in the Student Accounts and Financial Aid Offices. If a student fails to complete the withdrawal process, the student will be responsible for all tuition charges and all grades submitted by their instructors. If there is a medical or emergency situation that prevents the student from completing the withdrawal process, please contact the associate dean, the associate provost, or the director of the Shepard Academic Resource Center for assistance.

    Withdrawing Permanently from the University

    Students who do not plan on returning to the University may submit a request to withdraw form from the associate dean of their college or school. Whether a student is withdrawing at the end of a semester or between semesters, the student can file the form at any time in the semester preceding their permanent withdrawal. The withdrawal will be processed at the end of the semester.

    Students who leave the University without completing the request form for withdrawal including the required signatures, may be charged for subsequent semesters in which they have registered. Not attending classes does not constitute withdrawal from the University.

    Voluntary Medical Leave of Absence Policy

    A medical leave of absence (“MLOA”) may become necessary when a student experiences a documented medical or psychological condition that significantly limits the student’s ability to function safely or successfully and meet their responsibilities as a student at the University of Portland. In such cases, a student can request a voluntary MLOA from the University until the student and their medical provider believe the student is able to return to the University and achieve the student’s academic goals.

    This policy is designed to provide guidance regarding taking a MLOA as well as the process for returning from a MLOA. The University is committed to providing the flexibility and the individualized consideration and support necessary to help students transition back to University life at the conclusion of a leave.

    Requesting a Medical Leave of Absence

    Students who believe that they are experiencing a medical or psychological condition that limits their ability to function successfully at the University should consider requesting a MLOA. Such request should be made to the associate provost or designee, who may discuss other academic options that may make it possible for a student to complete the semester without taking a leave of absence. If the decision is made to seek a MLOA, the student will meet with the director of the Health and Counseling Center (HCC) or designee, at which time the process for MLOA will be explained and the student will receive the Petition for Medical Leave of Absence. The Petition for Medical Leave of Absence must be completed and returned to the director of the HCC or designee as soon as possible. Generally, the director of the HCC or designee will submit a recommendation regarding the MLOA to the Office of the Associate Provost only after receiving the completed Petition for Medical Leave of Absence and reviewing all relevant information regarding the impact of the student’s health issue upon the student’s health, safety, academic, and social functioning, which may include meeting with the student or consulting with the HCC or other relevant professionals, and/or campus administrators as appropriate. Upon recommending that the student be granted the MLOA, the director of the HCC or designee may also provide to the student individualized recommendations designed to help the student be successful, both in academics and within the University community generally, if the student chooses to return at the conclusion of the MLOA.

    If a student is granted a MLOA, a grade of ‘W’ (withdrawn) will be received for each course in which the student is currently enrolled.

    The deadline for submitting a request for a MLOA to the HCC is 5 p.m. on the Friday two weeks prior to the end of the semester. Applications submitted after that date will not be considered, except in extraordinary circumstances. In such circumstances, additional documentation and information may be required.

    Students who are granted an MLOA may return no earlier than one full semester (fall, spring, or summer) after the leave, unless the student has submitted a case review to the associate provost and been approved to return earlier based on an individualized assessment of the student’s specific situation. A granted MLOA allows a student to leave school without subsequent academic impact, on the condition that they return within the three semesters following the granting of a medical leave of absence (MLOA) inclusive of fall, spring and/or summer (unless approved for an extension in writing by the associate provost or designee.) Students should seek to return to the University when they, in consultation with their health care provider, believe that they are prepared to return to the academic and other rigors of university life.

    If a MLOA is granted, the student’s financial aid for the current semester may be adjusted based on federal, state, and institutional policies. The student will receive a letter from the Office of Financial Aid with information about any adjustments made. If a credit balance refund was issued prior to the approved medical leave, the student may be required to return some or all of the funds to the University of Portland. Students granted a medical leave of absence remain subject to the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

    The student may be required to pay any nonrefundable fees and/or fines charged to their account upon notification of such amount due. A student’s university housing and work-study employment may also be impacted, according to policies from the Office of Residence Life and the Office of Financial Aid, respectively.

    Seeking Return from a Medical Leave of Absence

    When a student feels prepared to return to the University after a voluntary MLOA, the student should take the following steps:

    1. Contact the associate provost to indicate interest in returning to the University. Such request must be made far enough in advance of the next semester to allow appropriate University officials sufficient time to adequately review the request. Students must receive approval to return from leave before registering for courses or applying for on-campus residence for the semester. Therefore, students must submit all materials for return by November 1 for consideration for the spring semester, April 1 for the summer sessions, and July 1 for the fall semester. If materials are received shortly after the relevant deadline, the University will make every attempt to be flexible and review the request for return in the following semester, but may be limited in its attempts to do so if there is missing information or more information is needed to make a determination. The University will remain in contact with the student regarding the status of the request throughout the process..
    2. Complete the reenrollment questionnaire with the appropriate consent from the student’s health care provider, who must send the completed questionnaire directly to the HCC. The information in the reenrollment questionnaire is given individualized and significant consideration in the determination of whether the student is capable of resuming study and functioning safely as a member of the University community.
    3. In addition to the reenrollment questionnaire, the student is encouraged to provide additional information showing that the student is ready to resume studies and be a successful member of the University community, with or without accommodations. Depending on the nature and circumstances of the student's individual MLOA, the director of the HCC or designee may also require additional information to assist in making a recommendation about a student's readiness to return from a MLOA if the information provided by the health care provider is not sufficient to make a recommendation. Such additional information could include a personal statement describing the student’s experience away from the University, the student’s current understanding of the factors leading to the need for leave and the insights gained during the student’s time away, and specific plans the student has to ensure a successful return to the University. Depending on the nature and circumstances of the student's individual MLOA, these specific plans may include information on how the student plans to move forward in managing his or her medical and/or psychological condition (if symptoms are present) as well as how the student plans to attend to the ongoing academic responsibilities within this educational setting.

    Review of Student’s Request for Return
    Upon receipt of all materials requested in the above section, the director of the HCC or designee will inform the student that all information has been received and may consult other University personnel, including the associate dean of the student’s college or school and the Care Team coordinator. The director of accessible education services or designee may be consulted as needed. During the review process, if the director or designee determines that information provided by the treatment provider is incomplete or requires further explanation or clarification (for example, if there is inconsistency between the medical information provided and other information in the student’s files), the director or designee may contact the treatment provider or student to obtain additional information. Depending on the individual circumstances of the medical leave, the student may be asked to provide additional documentation concerning the nature and duration of treatment, recommendations for ongoing care once the student has returned from leave, or signed releases to the HCC to allow communication with treatment providers and relevant campus administrators regarding the student's safe return to campus. In extraordinary circumstances, the director or designee may request that the student undergo an additional assessment to allow the University to make a determination about the student’s readiness for return. Such a request would be made to the student in writing, with the rationale for the determination provided.

    If the director of the HCC or designee supports the student's request to return from a MLOA, a recommendation for return will be submitted to the associate provost or designee, who will communicate a final decision to the student. Depending on the individual circumstances of the MLOA, the associate provost or designee may request academic stipulations or other requirements that must be reviewed and met before or during the student's return to the University community. Students with disabilities may be eligible for reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Amendments At (ADAA) of 2008. Students are responsible for communicating their requests for accommodations to accessible education services.


    If the student is not approved for a return, the student will receive a letter from the associate provost indicating the decision, as well as suggestions to improve the student’s likelihood of a favorable decision upon a subsequent request for return. If the non-approval occurs at the end of the one-year (the three semesters that follow the grant of a MLOA inclusive of fall, spring, and summer) medical leave limit, the associate provost or their designee may indicate an approved extension of medical leave in the letter. A student may request a review of the decision by submitting a case review letter in writing to the provost within ten (10) business days of receiving notice of the non-approval, along with any information the student believes is relevant to the case review. The provost or designee will review the information provided and make a final determination regarding the recommendation for return.

    Return from Medical Leave

    The University is committed to supporting the successful return of a student rejoining the University community after the completion of a voluntary MLOA. Prior to return, the student may be contacted by the associate dean in their college or school, suggesting various measures, such as regular meetings with the associate dean, that may be helpful to ensure the student is receiving sufficient University support to assist in their successful return to campus life. The Care Team coordinator may also contact the student to offer additional support.

    Upon return from a voluntary MLOA, the student may receive the institutional aid they are scheduled to receive for the semester of return (subject to the financial aid satisfactory academic progress policy). Thus, the full amount of remaining institutional financial aid may be reinstated if the student is otherwise meeting all components of the financial aid satisfactory academic progress policy.

    Any personal payments (cash, monthly payment plan payments, and/or loans) less nonrefundable fees and/or refunds processed prior to the approved MLOA and less any federal funds the school was required to return to the Department of Education from the Return to Title IV Funds policy calculation, will be applied to the student account for the semester of return as long as the student returns within one year (the three semesters that follow the grant of a MLOA inclusive of fall, spring, and summer) of the approved leave, unless an extension has been granted. These funds will generally be applied as a one-time medical tuition discount. The total amount of institutional financial aid plus the medical tuition discount cannot exceed institutional charges for the semester of return. Unused funds will not be returned.

    Financial aid received from any non-institutional or third party source (e.g. federal/state financial aid funds, outside scholarships, etc.) will not be replaced by the University and will be subject to the stipulations of the agency providing the aid. Additionally, institutional funds that are dependent on receipt of funds from a third party (e.g. Providence Match Grant, ROTC Room and Board Scholarship, etc.) will only be reinstated if the funds from the third party are reinstated.